Thursday, January 05, 2006

Sugar Water

I've got an interesting midnight thought - We gave up on tonights observing because we couldn't even see Mars. As we get back to HP and I sit down to try to work on my thesis proposal, I thought I would get a drink. Not coffee, since I've been way too addicted to that lateley. So I went looking for something else. I noticed that there was nothing in this entire place that didn't read as follows:

Water
High Fructose Corn Suryp
Sugar
Flavorful Concentrate A, B, C
Preservative X,Y,Z
"Natural" Color and Flavor #'s 1, 2, 3.

I decided to go think about this and drink some tea, cause at least I have a little bit of an idea what might be in it. In some senses, Liz has ruined my future because it seems that after having a taste of good food and doing a little reading up on food manufacturing practice (not to mention pharmaceuticals and fucking - Kaiser - doctor - wannabe's), I can no longer ignore the 'form' of my food anymore and I'll forever be paying more to avoid having 'all natural ground meat product' with my 'flavored sugar water' for dinner, even though it would 'function' the same and shut my stomach up for a while.

If only quality were a virtue.....

2 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

If only I could evil laugh through the keyboard.. it's a blessing and a curse reaing ingredients. It's scary when you start thinking about what's in your food that they tell you about, and even scarier when you start thinking about what they don't tell you - what kind of 'all natural ground meat product"? Is it cow, deer, opossum, pig intestines? Maybe even the guy who fell into the grinder..

7:51 AM  
Blogger Jesse said...

Muuuaahhhaaaa (evil laugh over keyboard!)

Ok, so watch Supersize Me, I know, I know it's a movie and all, but it's a documentary...so that's still quasi-informative! Wanna talk about fucked up dietary practices, watch what happens to a man when he gorges on McDonalds for a month!

I went home, and got Trader Joe's (that's right, in Michigan no less), and did some cookin for the family, and now they're hooked! Ha!

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home