Saturday, November 03, 2007

A Day In the Clouds

Today, the fog went away, but a massive cirrus system moved in. The big island had some weird cloud formations. You could see Kohala and the normal trade-wind clouds coming in on the windward side. But, there was a higher layer of louds on the flank of Mauna Kea, and some convection up to summit levels. Really neat stuff. I'm really starting to get into the near-infrared photography. You can see through the haze amazingly well. The weather patterns you can see from 100 miles away are fascinating, and my Pentax does great with it. I broke down and went ebay surfing and bought myself some NIR filters - 750, 850, and 950nm filters. Ebay is an awesome thing. I managed to get each filter for less than $20. Woo hoo! I also broke down and bought some astronomical zoom binoculars. There's just too good of a view up here.

This weather system kept the low clouds down, so the West-Maui mountains came out. There was a ton of haze but you could see the moisture and haze capped at 5000ft and the peaks of that range are really interesting. I wish I had both of my good cameras to capture the weather and the cirrusy sunsets, but Liz has one in China right now. She's getting good shots, so it's ok.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home