Saturday, November 03, 2007

Foggy Nights

The last three nights of my run were totally fogged out. We weren't up in clouds the whole time, but the humidity was always near 100%. No way I can use a telescope in those conditions. Instead of using the scope, I spent basically all of my time behind the computer processing the data from Mon & Tues. I got sidetracked by a simulation I had been meaning to do for a while now - basically I could see the possibility of an error producing a fake "polarization" and I wanted to make sure that what I was seeing was real. I had tried this simulation before on the data I'd published, but it was only a quick look. Now that I've got over 40 stars, I felt I needed to do it right. And good thing I did. It's a very significant effect in stars with strong emission. So, my last three days has been spent behind my laptop in the kitchen. At least I got a good sunset one night.

Kaho'olawe at sunset.
Daytime clouds behind Panic-starrs. I really liked the cap-clouds as the top of the cumulus would hit an unstable layer.
The convection shifted to being behind MSSS, more toward the north than the east. I always like the zoom shots of these massive clouds with the scopes looking tiny.
One of my simulations - the bottom is the spectrum of a star and the three lines above it show the calculated polarization for different simulated continuum errors. Basically, I try to get everything as close to zero as I can. I'm usually right to 1% or so. If variation of 2% or 4% produces something fake, I start to worry.

A fake signature - the proper polarization is the flat one, but a 4% error produces that bump on top.

A different star - my best guess is the curve that's mostly flat with the -1% dip where the spectrum is lowest. If I make a 4% error , the dip becomes a bump. There's also a broad downward trend across the entire emission part of the line. Looks like I need to be pretty careful with this stuff..... It also makes me wonder why nobody else mentions this, and the other errors I simulate, when they've published their codes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I like the sunset pic with the green showing! Good work!

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home