Saturday, October 14, 2006

For My Father

My dad always reminded me of Indiana Jones with his fedora. I think he's been wearing them since way way before I was born. Unlike Liz, my memory of my childhood is spotty at best. She remembers watching her mom's butt bounce from the baby bike seat when she was 2. I barely remember the girl I chased around in 2nd grade. I can however remember many rainstorms at Fonda where my dad was in a rubber trenchcoat (think scary movie) and a fedora diverting the mudflow from the road or doing something else out in the rain. I also remember him picking me up from school and joking with my friends that he forgot his whip or should have had more leather instead of paint-stained jeans. I think he's had the same fedora for a decade now. I guess I had never tried one in the rain until recently. They work. They really really work. Especially for us geeks with glasses. So...... being out in the cowboy country and having a lot of rain to deal with, I dedicated this trip to exploring the many uses of the fedora. Instead of being like the real locals (super-white-kid in a crappy trailer with a decked out POS car listening to hardcore rap, trying to escape his culture), I was running around the mud-soaked desert in a cowboy hat. Sunshade, rain-protection, and greasy-hair-masking all in one. Here's to you dad!








3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice hat, son. Some times I get some things right. Cool places in the pictures. Tell Brian his Tigers are doing good. Love, Dad

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dave,
Your dad bought the same fedora that I had wrapped under the tree for Christmas one year. Needless to say I was not happy. Perhaps that is why he has not worn out his hats yet?

Beautiful pictures, how incredible. I love living vicariously through you!

katy

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool sequence of hat photos. Nice work and it is totally indiana jones. Hope you had an awesome trip.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home