Friday, February 17, 2006

Thesis Proposal Accepted!!

I'm pretty sure that I've just finished my last "exam" to get in to the PhD program. I gave my half hour talk yesterday and the committee liked it. The general feel was that this is pretty new and exciting, but is a big job and I should think carefully about what I'm going to be looking at and what I'll actually acomplish. Basically, I need to focus on what I can really say with the data, since nobody has said anything concrete yet and the models that do the "interpretation" are primitive at best. I've put a few slides from the talk in here. Ok. Done with that, time to go to the beach.


Title Slide - my thesis
Intro to polarized light, parameters I measure, what the instrument looks like, and what a spectrum looks like.
Optical design of the IR instrument - Zemax is a damn useful program because it lets you propagate electromagnetic waves in a completely arbitrary way so that you can specify everything about the materials you're using and model your instrument almost exactly. It's pretty neat. I added my little "package" to the telescope and put up some plots of the "response".

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane Harrington said...

congratulations!! You are so smart

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dave!

Since it's my job, i took a close look at your spot diagram... How do you explain these inhomogeneities? All the spots don't look alike, is this supposed to be?

Nevertheless, pretty smart design, very simple, but if it works, good job ;)

Good luck for the PhD, this is a huge mess :):)

Gilles.

1:28 AM  
Blogger geekedout said...

Gilles - yeah, it's a huge mess. the spots come from different pupil points - ie the different parts of the slit in the spectrograph. they're all roughly the same size so no worries. it's going to be a royal pain in the ass to sort out what it all means though. how's life with you?

1:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you can probably guess, life is a real mess: trying to start a start-up from what i discovered and the patent deposed, but we're in the middle of the market study and it seems that a lot of people are interested... So no weekends, no holidays, nothing to sum up ;) Hope your system will not keep you up late at night, if you have any problems, send me the zemax file and i can have a look at it, it shouldn't be a problem ;)

Gilles.

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home