Saturday, August 19, 2006

Fishing

The fishing trip was run by a very crusty michigander. He made me remember a lot of what I don't like about this state. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice time out on the boat, but he took every opportunity to basically make fun of how we didn't know how to fish. As if the pinnacle of any life is being able to take tourists fishing in a small town in michigan. I was the only one to lose a fish that day. The fish was fighting me and I had turned my head to ask him, "how much tension can I put on the line before I break it?" but in that moment, the fish jumped off the line. He said "well, if you weren't goofing off and chatting with your dad, maybe you'd have caught the fish." I had been asking him about statistics that day and afterward he said "now you got what you wanted, you lost a fish and have a number to talk about". Prick. He reminds me of how many people here are way too quick to cop an attitude and assume that they're soo much better than you, even though for the most part they're fat, stupid, ignorant red-necks. I just wanted to know how hard I could pull on the rod without breaking the line, you crusty bastard. Sorry for doing other things with my life and not knowing how to fish. The group of dad's co-workers with us took out a different boat but had something even worse happen - shouting, no instruction, no questions answered, shoving them out of the way, similar attitude.

Now that that's out of the way, here's the funny & nice things - it was a really strange cloud-day. The cirrus was thick enough to let the sun through, but dimmed. The sunrise was awesome and the colors on the water were really cool. I had only had 30 minutes of sleep that night - brew, dad & his co-workers got trashed and were loud as all hell (think cackling hens) until 330am (complete with all the neighbors yelling "shut up" periodically). The alarm went off at 4:15 to make bitch-coffee. Somewhat fortunately, I was in a daze all day, and just watching the waves was fun. I didn't like being the crusty one, but it was really ridiculous and somewhat not cool. You're car camping with a bunch of kids sleeping around you, and you're up late swearing at full volume, with all your "neighbors" about ready to shoot you? No wonder we were threatened three times the next day by each of the care-takers. Anyways, here's the pics.

Red dawn.
I got the big one!
Weird, overcast sparkle.

A crusty bastard, cutting fish. I worship the ground you walk on because you know how to cut fish better than anyone else. If only I hadn't made the mistake of going to college, maybe I could fish like this.....

2 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

maybe he could have used a bitch slap with one of those fishes? Any quiet fantasies about that one?

6:47 AM  
Blogger Diane Harrington said...

It's never too late to change your mind and get your PHD in baiting worms i assume these yahoos have never heard of customer service wonder how much repeat business they get

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home