Sunday, July 02, 2006

More reading and timelapse

I've been getting ready for my Singapore trip - the more I prepare my talk and think about what I want to say, the more I realize how much I don't know. A lot of things happen when you smash a spacecraft into a snowy-dirtball at hypervelocity in a vacuuum near a bright star. It's especially when you don't know what the snowy-dirtball is made of and you're trying to figure it out using the impact. I've been reading a bunch of technical, jargon-ridden, clear-as-mud papers that don't agree all that well on what actually happened. No wonder people go to conferences like this. You can't publish anything coherent unless you know what other people saw and might say. As Liz might say, it depends on everything and the answer to "a or b?" is usually "both". :) At least this conference is in Asia where most people won't understand me. Anyways, long story short, I've been doing a bunch of timelapse while sitting around getting nowhere trying to figure this crap out. I drove DnA to the airport at 5am saturday, so I have their car and can go up big hills with all my crap and do all the lookouts. It's been nice. At least I'll have some pretty pictures to show for it.




1 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

so my whole family is loving your timelapse and especially those splash pics below this post. =) thought you might enjoy that. you're impressing from afar..

anyway, I hope you get some good info from the conference, or at least some people to talk about smashing dirty ice balls with. you better send me a post card.

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home