Wednesday, June 14, 2006

It's all over

I just got word from the 88" tech that the dewar window is cracked. This lens/window is the last optic before the CCD and is critical in the vacuum seal of the dewar. The camera is dead for months and we're headed home. So much for this project. At least I got a few good timelapses and a hike in. It was also fun just to see how the telescope worked.

Sean pointed out to me last night the static-electric-insanity that goes on when you sleep up here. Basically, every time you move there is a discharge between every hair on your body and the sheets. The most fun for me was the pillow case. I would move my forearm across the pillow and the most intense electrical-storm ever seen by man follows my arm. And it's not just a little spark. Each arc from my arm hits the pillow case and spreads out in an insane, web-like pattern a few to many inches across the fabric. And since every hair produces one of these, it looks like you're about to put your head down on a psycho-shock-therapy instrument. I spent the next 5 minutes trying to not think about what would happen to my head when I tossed and turned......




4 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

Whoa! So many photos to catch up on!

5:32 AM  
Blogger Jesse said...

That sucks man, sorry to hear about your observation run man! Cool camera tho!

9:11 AM  
Blogger geekedout said...

yeah, i'm a little picture-intensive. it helps me remember.

dead cameras happen. that's why it's a science. you're constantly tinkering and fixing broken crap that nobody else knows how to fix. part of the job.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

I think the lightning photo is too wide for the frame. If you make it smaller, your text should appear normal (instead of scrolling down to read the text).

1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home