Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Milky Way in the IR

I got to borrow a super-heavy-duty mount for a run to the summit. I'm up on Haleakala doing the usual fixing, calibrating, observing, whatever and I decided to bring along all the cameras since I've got a bunch of new lenses. Even though the full moon is out, the IR cuts through the skylight and I get good shots of the milky way.

Andromeda is the fuzzball in the top right corner....

I turned off the tracking to see what would happen.
The full moon was not very far from the milky way, so I'm amazed that I saw it through the super-bright moonlight. I couldn't make it out by eye, but the camera caught it just fine.

1 Comments:

Blogger hkaluna said...

those are quite amazing, it will be neat to compare them to non-moonlit nights.

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home