Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Detector Coming Along!

Sometimes I have to take a walk upstairs and look at the new detector system so I can deal with the pain and suffering of 'purchasing'. I have to know that at the end of the tunnel is a $500k detector system that will rock. I remember in highschool, the year the Music Man burnt down, I had a job as a purchasing clerk with this small company, Excelda, that bottled and packaged various chemicals. I woke up around 5:30, worked at Excelda till 4ish then did the 4-10pm shift at Music Man. Those few summer months sucked. I remember having dreams about alphabetizing folders, waking up thinking "my god, I didn't even escape it in my dreams". I'm almost there again. To buy something with state money requires 5 separate people with titles like "Fiscal Officer" "Administrative Officer" to agree that something meets the requirements for buying it. Who knew that after grad school I would spend less than a quarter of my time actually doing the sciency-type stuff. But then again in these economic times I shouldn't bitch about having to help spend a few million on toys. We've got some good ones coming.....




1 Comments:

Blogger brian harrington said...

i remember those days too, but you forgot to mention moonlighting as a bottomless dancer... at truck stops all up and down interstate 75. I know dave, you've told me a thousand times, it was good money. yeah right.

everyone loves a bureaucrat cause they pool the risk of ever actually having to make a decision or do real work.

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home